Friday, September 21, 2007

Railey Beach (Sept 19-21)



After finally shaking off the Koh Phi Phi Curse, (see previous blog entry,) Matt and I headed to Railey Beach near Krabi to do some serious rock climbing!



This double sided stretch of beach is lined with limestone cliffs that stretch hundreds of meters into the air and overlook the stunning coastline.



In order to prepare ourselves for the assent, (and since we didn't see a single girl in sight,) we decided to gorge ourselves on seafood that night. I have never in my life eaten that much sea food in one sitting. For around $15 US, I was able to procure 200 grams of mussels, 200 grams of clams, 400 grams of prawns, a baked potato, corn on the cob, and four beers.



It was heaven. We didn't move for two hours.



We were so full that it was all we could do to drag ourselves to the bar closest to our guesthouse and play a few games of connect four. Matt beat me by about eight games to two, but I smoked one more joint than he did so I say we were even.



We woke up the next morning to find that at some point during the night we had accidentally transmorfed into a pair of cats!! Why Matt was in my bed is something that I still can't explain...



After a few more hours of sleeping, we awoke at the crack of 11:30am and decided that if we were serious about this rock climbing business then we'd better hop to it.



This was without a doubt the BEST rock climbing I have ever done!!



The guide realized that Matt and I were intermediate climbers so he led rope well up to the thirty meter mark and away we went!



Woah.



This picture is the same as the one above it but zoomed in, otherwise you wouldn't see me at all from the ground!



Once you finally made it to the cave after the first big assent, it was all you could do to pull yourself into the opening and chill out for awhile.



Here was what awaited you at the summit!!



Bob Marley here was our rock climbing instructor. He only let me fall twice and I only hit the ground hard on one of those falls, thankfully I wasn't to high up at the time. It wasn't his fault though, he's not good at multi-tasking and he was trying to figure out which song to play on his MP3 phone and belay me at the same time. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was my bad!

That night, we promptly went right back to the seafood restaurant, (we were a huge hit with the staff by this point,) and substituted the baked potato from the previous evening for a 400 gram shark steak! It was cooked so well that it didn't even taste like fish. After dinner we roamed the island, (which we had nicknamed "Couples Hell" at this point,) determined to locate some people who liked to have a good time. After much perseverance, we located these individuals and resorted to doing what we do best.