Saturday, April 14, 2007

A Rant, April 14th

About a week ago I picked up a used copy of Jack Kerouac's novel, "On the Road." A fictional novel that is loosely based on a part of Kerouac's life when he and a friend travel around the U.S. There are two things about this novel that got me thinking. First, Kerouac and his friend were always searching for IT, (what IT is, is never fully discussed but like Hunter Thompson's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" I suspect it has something to do with the American Dream.) Anyway Kerouac's book gave me some great advice. Always throughout life human nature has us worried about time. When things are going to happen, when the should have happened, when they will happen next has become extremely important to us. Perhaps the biggest hurdle to get over while travelling is letting go of this preconception. There is no time limit when travelling, you'll get there when you do, just so long as you end up at your destination eventually relax and enjoy the ride.

The second point I would like to make has to do with Americans in general. I am sick of hearing other countries shitbag Americans. (In no way does the following rant have anything to do with me approving anything the American government has done in the last 5 years by the way, little side note to keep in mind before you read on.) I actually feel sorry for American travellers. I have seen everything from fist fights break out in bars to just an utter lack of respect for an individual purely based on the country he or she was born in and honestly I'm fucking tired of it. Ben and Ryan from Tennessee do not influence American foreign policy. They did not vote for Bush. They do not own a gun, support an evangelical movement, hate blacks, or believe that everything that the US does in the Middle East is for the greater good of the world. They do however have a great sense of humor and tell some amazing stories. But whenever someone finds out they're American they may as well have said that they are card-carrying members of the Nazi party. I think it's disgraceful the way Americans are treated abroad. I know they're not perfect, I don't agree with a lot of what the American government does either but that does not give anyone the right to treat them like a bunch of lepers.

In fact here's a thought. Some of you out there might be saying, "Well if American travellers go abroad and hear everyone complaining and treating them badly then they'll want to go home and change things to better the world's perception of their country." You, Sir or Madame, are an idiot. If you go to a restaurant and order a rare steak and the waitress takes an hour and a half to bring your meal and it's cooked well-done and accompanied by the incorrect appetizer are you going to go back? No of course not! Not only will you not go back but every time that you hear the name of the restaurant you will relate your experience in the hopes of discouraging your friends from entering the establishment. Same principle applies here. The world should be welcoming Americans travellers with open arms and showing them how great the other countries are and how friendly everyone is. As it is now, I can guarantee you there are a lot of Americans going back to the US saying, "shit, I'm never going travelling to (insert country here) again, those people are assholes!" Still don't believe me? Ever had a neighbor that's wronged you some way? Maybe they didn't return something, or filed to many noise complaints, whatever? When you get together with other people from the neighborhood what's the one thing that gives you more personal pleasure that anything else? Answer: venting you frustrations by shitbagging that person to no end!!

I've actually found that Canadians are far better than most in being more understanding. The US is our biggest trading partner, some of my good friends now work down there, and I love some parts of the United States. So the next time you see an American do me a favor, go up to them for me and give them a big hug. After all they're the only neighbour's we have.
There I'm done.