Friday, April 27, 2007

Te Anau, Milford Sound April 27th




Today I was excited! It was sheep sheering day!! After leaving Invercargill I was pretty pumped up because today was the day I would learn one of NZ's oldest professions and certainly the one they are most famous for. When we arrived at the farm we were given a lesson in how the dogs rounded up the sheep and let me tell you I was impressed! These dogs controlled the heard so well without even barking, at one point the lab even jumped up on top of the moving sheep and ran along their heads and bodies! Very cool. Next I picked up the clippers and decided that one particular sheep was letting himself go so I gave him the 'ol marine job.













I wasn't aware but apparently sheep sheering is a huge deal. There are even competitions with awards and records for it. The farmer was extremely proud that in 2004 the top ten best sheep shearers in the world came from New Zealand.



.......um........don't ask........

Once the show was over we all made our way to Te Anau for the night before continuing on the Milford Sound. In order to really see all the bay had to offer we hopped on a boat which gave us some spectacular scenery on the way out to the ocean before it turned around and took us to the underwater aquarium.












Now I'm back in Queenstown, possibly leaving for Wanaka again but I'm not sure. Love you all, enjoy the pics!