Friday, March 23, 2007

River Lake, March 22nd




Being the extremely well organized person than I am, I slept in and dicked around on the beach for a little too long and sure enough I forgot to book my bus out of Taupo. I managed to score the last ride on the next bus out of sheer luck but then I realized that everything has it's price.

Note to British mothers: If you have a 17 year old daughter who is doing her "gap" year, has died blond hair, and couldn't figure out which pair of high heels to bring while backpacking so she brought both DO NOT let her travel. Keep her at home with all of her fucking annoying, loud, obnoxious, pretentious friends and smack them repeatedly until they learn not to say things like "this song makes me horny!" when Marvin Gay's sexual healing comes on the bus radio.

Also, please don't ever put them on my bus again especially if it's one of their birthdays. I can't describe what it's like to get on a bus and see the whole thing done up in these fucking pink streamers and party hats. I thought I walked onto a set design for full house. The threshold from hell didn't just stop there though. When ever the bus stopped, each girl had to find that one tube of lip gloss that rolled god knows where before she could get to the nearest Internet cafe to post pictures of herself hanging off some other 17 year old dipshit from the previous night while retching up all the 2 minute noodles she ate for dinner. Luckily being the subtle person that I am I made a few comments that assured that I would not be disturbed for the remainder of the ride to River Lake. And the comments did get me a few laughs from the 22 and up crowd which I bonded with very well.

River Valley is paradise. It's one lodge that's used as a base camp to send out the white water trips that end a stone throw away from the lodge which is nestled between these two huge hills. If I had six months to do nothing you can bet your arse I'd be bar tending there. (I even looked into it but you also need a working visa etc.) That night I introduced everyone on the bus to the classic Canadian card/drinking games. Pyramids, Kings, no-fuck, and 21 were huge hits and luckily the young'uns decided they'd rather puke or go to bed early and paw at each other so we had the time of our lives!!! This was my favorite place on the trip so far, if I'm ever back this way you can bet I'll return!!!